Thursday 5 May 2011

Another Flop from San Marino

San Marino: Senit - Stand By



San Marino is one of the smallest countries in the world, therefore I understand that I can’t be that easy for them to find a brilliant artist among the 32 000 inhabitants to represent them in the ESC. Pickings are slim, but I refuse to believe that this is the best the small nation has to offer. This is the second time San Marino participates in the ESC, and for a lot of us it was a comfort to have them around to make up for Italy’s withdrawal from the competition. But now that their big brother is back, I really don’t see the need to have them around. They ended up dead last the first time, and I don’t think this one will do much better.

I’ve suffered through this entry about five times now, and it’s been quite the challenge to try to pay attention. It takes about 20 second before my mind starts wandering, and by the time the song is over I’ve planned my dinner and my outfit for the night – and I don’t have clue about how the song goes. And trust me, I’ve tried, but this doesn’t sit at all. Senit looks great and she really has something interesting about her, and I hope to see her again in the future with another song that is really worthy of her potential. Because this song has absolutely nothing to offer, nothing happens and feels like a very poor version of something you’ve heard a million times before.

San Marino could very end up dead last with zero points with this entry. Not because it’s the worst song in the first semi-final, but because it’s so forgettable that no one will remember to vote it. This song plus their 2008 entry really makes me doubt whether or not there is any need for San Marino to even be in the contest. Perhaps the third time will be the charm - better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment