Tuesday 3 May 2011

Hats off to Zdob si Zdub

Moldova: Zdub si Zdob - So Lucky



I really don’t know what to make of this one. Is it serious or is it a joke? Do I love it or do I hate it? Are these people geniuses or a bunch of morons who are making a mockery out of the competition? I’m actually quite torn. Whatever is going on in this number is beyond my understanding, and every time I hear it I have a change of heart towards it. But the last time I heard it I thought I was sort of cool, so I’m going to stick with that and actually admit that I am in favor of this one. It doesn’t seem right and I am sort off embarrassed, but whatever I got to be brutally honest here.

Zdob si Zdub is a very famous band back in Moldova, and they’re known for mixing genres such as rock, folk and hip-hop. They have released 9 albums, toured more than 20 countries and opened for bands such as Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against the Machine. In other words, these guys are professional and not some reality show “discovery” which seems to be the latest trend among the ESC participants. Also this was the band that represented Moldova when the country made its ESC debut back in 2005, they finished sixth with a very corny song about a grandma who was banging a drum. No one saw that coming, it’s the highest placement for Moldova in the ESC history and they might surprise us again by beating their old record.

Whether or not “So Lucky” actually will be so lucky is hard to say. It really could go either way, I see it in the top 8 in the finale or just as easily at the very bottom in the semi-final. It’s actually not such a bad song, though I think it was a mistake to bring in the girl on the unicycle. Alright so she can balance on one wheel – I’m impressed, but I think Zdob si Zdub is the real attraction in this number and she is taking the spotlight from them. She gives it a very unnecessary feminine touch when what it actually needs is to be polished as a real “rebel boy” number. They deserve a place in the big finale – if not for the song then at least for the awesome hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment