Wednesday 11 May 2011

Racism, Fascism and Alliances












Naturally yesterday’s elimination caused some anger among those countries that were eliminated. There were definitely a few surprises, like Georgia making it and Turkey getting eliminated, but then again it was a tough semi-final and it was very unpredictable. Norway was shocked, how could this funky little number fail to make it through? Clearly it must have been racism – caused by the Easter-European blockade. Or could it perhaps be that it didn’t qualify because it wasn’t good? Sorry Norway, but I believe that the ten songs that qualified were actually the songs that Europe liked. Perhaps it wasn’t a hundred percent fair, but then again life isn’t fair guys so you’ll just have to cry your bitter tears, fly back to Norway and forget about this. And maybe pick and artist that can actually sing next time?

Turkey is also out, which was an even bigger surprise. I personally hated that song, and I’m glad Europe agreed, it was terrible number and that caged dancer grossed me out. However, Turkey pretty much has a free pass to the final, but I guess this proves that you can’t just rely on previous merits and good friends. As for Finland- I really don’t get it. Do we really want to hear this song again?? This must have been a jury favorite, because I really don’t understand how people could vote for that. I was wrong about Armenia making it – I gladly admit. That one really caused the most laughter in my living room. Boom Boom Chaka Chaka and a giant boxing glove – you can’t expect anyone to take you seriously. And Portugal. I knew what was coming but I was shocked nevertheless.

The rest of the qualifiers were legit I suppose, and not very surprising. I’m worried about Hungary though. I was quite convinced that Kati Wolf would be the winner this year, but it didn’t look all that good on stage in the singing was a bit off. Something’s got to be done in the Hungarian camp if they want to take this home, that’s for sure. Basically I think I’ve had a change of heart about going to Budapest next year; it’s looking more and more like Paris, London or Dublin – again.

7/10 in this round – Thursday’s semi-final predictions should be easier though. And I’ll miss Malta on Saturday. What a fabulous performance – it just wasn’t meant to be L

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I´m a big eurovision fan as yourself.
    Found your site through the official eurovision.tv site (one of your comments). The first thing I reflected over yesterday was the big scene (didn´t really reflected over it when I watched the rehearsale). I really think it seemed hard for the most performances to "fill" the scene.

    My favorits was Poland, Albania, Turkey, Georgia, Finland, Azerbaijan.

    The worst; Portugal, Norway

    The best in all was Georgia, they really "filled" the scene and did a great performance, the song is maybe not the strongest but it works, the only thing I think was a issue was the dress of the singer, it was just too loose.

    Turkey's performance was in otherhand a bit too strange, and the singer too weak.

    Won because of lyrics; Finland

    Lost because of lyrics; Norway

    I think as you that Hungary's performance was a disappointment.

    So this is my oppinion on yesterdays semi-final.

    Just had to write it down somewhere, ;)

    With love from Sweden.

    ReplyDelete