Thursday 7 April 2011

A Portugese Struggle





So Portugal has never won the ESC, and it seems like they have de. The group that’s trying to make it for Portugal this year is called “Homens da Luta”, or “The Men of Struggle”. And if this is a serious attempt to bring the ESC to Lisbon next year, I think they’re in for quite a struggle. This group is apparently some famous comedy act in Portugal, and I guess this little performance is supposed to humor its way to glory. But, sorry, maybe this is something that Christiano Ronaldo and the rest of the Portuguese nation finds amusing, but it is completely lost on me.

When I first heard and saw the song, I thought they were holding up signs saying “Algeria” while they were singing “get back to Africa”. Being the prejudice person I just assumed that it’s probably a big problem in Portugal with Algerians who try to swim across the Mediterranean to Portugal. At least this was sort of funny to me, but then I read the text in English and it’s basically just a bunch of feel-good crap like “There’s no point in complaining, there’s no point in frowning”. Well I’m sorry but this song just gave me yet another reason to complain.

Every year there has to be at least one country that tries to tell Europe that they don’t care about the contest by sending some joke of a song. But really, you’re not fooling anybody. By making this kind of “protest” song they think they can get the votes of everyone who claims to hate ESC but who still watches it votes for the dumbest song. It worked for Lithuania’s “We are the winners” in 2006, but I don’t think it’s going to work for Portugal this year. Even the song itself is not catchy, I’ve listened to it a number of times and I still don’t remember how it goes. And that is not a good sign. Sorry Portugal, it looks like it’s going to be 45 entries without a win.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Ida, such a nice name :) same as my mother. Well, just a quick answer to let you know although I respect your opinion, I don't agree we everything you say. Well, first I would like to start by saying that I will not discuss about the quality of the song :-). But I will say that I think you are mistaken about it being prejudice, it not speaking about immigration at all, it's a tribute to the 1974's Portuguese revolution but with a speach adapted to the country's current situation. Also, I've always been proud to live in a country (begin a country of immigrants) that respects other immigrants and their culture. The problems you speak about (illegal immigrants) are not happening in Portugal, this is currently happening in Italy at the island of Lampedusa, and actually Italy and France have suggested to review the Schengen treaty (you can read it here: http://www.ansamed.info/en/portogallo/news/ME.XEF82193.html).
    About the part you mention “There’s no point in complaining ... blabla bla" ... it's not about that at all, you made a simple interpretation of one of the verses, Its just saying don't keep it to yourself, but join together as People and fight for what you believe in ... It's actually speaking about something that is happening nowadays in Portugal, people are sad and complain to themselves rather than speaking Up.
    Well, my answer is quite long now, I hope you can understand my point. I'm also a great fan of the ESC since little girl that me and my family gather specially for this huge event. And although the song is performed by a comedy group it's not a parody to ESC, and it's actually bringing to the ESC a bit of traditional music rather then a lot of commercial stuff the ESC is getting. For instance, I thing that the Russian Song may be a catching commercial pop song, but it's violent and a bit dirty from what I saw in the video, I dislike those songs the most.

    Cheers, and I will be following this blog :) because I love the ESC,
    Ana

    PS: good luck for Norway and for Isral too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooppps, sorry I've misspelled Israel ... Cheers

    ReplyDelete